Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chicken hawk horror

Don't look at these pictures if you're squeamish.

I drove back from an errand yesterday afternoon to find a hawk eating one of our chickens alive on the front lawn. The hawk flew off as I pulled up, but it had already made a wound too large to close, so the chicken was slaughtered. Aimee's name for the bird was Skippy, due to a habit of skipping, I guess.

I searched hard for the rest of our small flock but couldn't find them all so we then had wait for them to come in from wherever they had gone to ground. It took several hours, until normal chicken bed-time. They all came in, but one had a pretty well-plucked spot on its bum. Still, no blood, so she lived.

Where was my fearless wifie, who was home while all this was happening? Oblivious, on her exercise machine with the TV blaring.

I guess that's another good reason to consider yard and farm work a superior form of exercise. Not only do you get something accomplished, you also keep the animals safe if you're in the farmyard working. I'm up to cutting trees down again, for firewood and brush clearing. With a machete. Good exercise, that.

Poor Skippy was very fat and full of eggs. I hate to see such a good layer have to be killed. But there's only one think to make with such a fat old layer.

Chicken soup! And very fat and greasy soup at that.

The birds will have to stay in the barn for a day or three. We don't need to encourage any hawks to hang around around here regularly. And the rifle is loaded.

Although I'm wishing for a scattergun.

Bloody old hawk.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.