Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Squaring the circle



Tired of running concrete over to the footing forms with a wheelbarrow, once I got over to the north wall of the foundation and closer to the cement mixer, I tried something I'd seen on one of my TV shows. I like to watch shows about construction, building, and restoration, mostly to see what materials and techniques are being used that I don't yet know about.

In this case, I used a piece of plywood as a chute to run the concrete direct from the mixer to the form, something I'd see on UK Channel Four's Grand Designs. It worked well and saved a lot of labor. I was able to run through thirty or forty bags of concrete in a morning -- the most I've ever been able to do.

In preparation, I'd finalized the form almost all the way around to meet where I'd left off with the west wall. There's just one raised boss of bedrock there that isn't leveled yet, nothing that can't be handled with just a very small amount of concrete.

As a result, the very large rented cement mixer will go back to the rental yard tomorrow. From here on out, we'll make do with the $50 one I found on Craig's List. Since all we need to run is mortar and a small amount of concrete, we should be fine.

I have to say that making this foundation has been a serious and extended workout for an old feller like me. I don't think I've lost any weight, but I'm sure I've converted quite a bit of weight that was in fat to muscle.

We'll market this new diet and work-out regime -- the Foundation Diet.

Think it'll sell?

If it does, maybe next time we'll be able to afford to blast all that ledge and start with a square hole!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.