Sunday, February 7, 2010

Wey hey.







One thing readers will have learned about a Maine winter: There is time to relax.

Superbowl Sunday, and wifie is making guacamole and salsa. I'm making baked ham and mashed potatoes and a pumpkin pie. England vs. Wales will have to wait until tomorrow, meaning I have to be careful not to read any British paper tomorrow morning or spoil my game.

But if the Saints begin to lose badly, Aimee will likely give up on the bowl and we'll watch the more serious game.

Everyone else seems to be getting what they need too.

Chooks get wey from Aimee's cheese-making class. Unfortunately, I didn't get any cheese, even though I did all the stuff on the honey-do list. What does a guy have to do to get a little mozarrella around here?

Nellie-sheep is getting petted. She loves this. Other sheep run away if you try to touch them, but not Nellie-kins. She's soon going to be a mom soon for the first time. Hope everything comes out all right, Nell.

Haggis is getting some attention. Aimee and I think that this is one dog that wishes he could talk back. We got him at about a year old. His former owners used to leave him tied up outside in the dead of winter. What a stupid thing to do to such and intelligent and communicative dog. He must have been thinking all the time, "If only I could tell them how cold and lonely it is out here!" Poor dog.

The hose is frozen again. I threw it on the porch to thaw out. There's sunshine streaming in the windows and the porch heater is on, it'll be up to 70 F in no time, and the sheep will get their water.

Here's the little statue my father-in-law Dick Phillippi carved to commemorate this little porcine incident here.

Dick is a very talented wood carver. We have a growing collection of his carvings. This is my favorite.

I promise, no baseball bat was actually involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.