Saturday, September 4, 2010

Soggy sheep and Earl-y endeavors

Here's one of this year's poor ewe-lambs whose Q-name I can't remember because the names Aimee had to choose from this year were all so weird. Queira, maybe, or something like that?

I could find out from Aimee's Facebook page, but then I'd be exposed to the evil Facebook virus and when would that stop?

She's looking pretty soggy, heading for one of the small sheep shelters we have dotted around the place, photographed through a rain spattered window.

The rain is from the western edges of Tropical Storm Earl, formerly Hurricane Earl, which ground its way very slowly all the way off the east coast of the North American continent, and will hit land properly for the first time today just east of here in Nova Scotia.

So we dodged another one. Lucky. All those warnings weren't wrong, although a lot of people will say they were. This was a very big and powerful storm. It just happened to stay offshore.

Those Nova Scotians are pretty tough buggers, most of them ex-Highlanders or Acadians or Irish or Tories from the Revolution. This is now only a big storm, really, not a hurricane. I doubt it will cause very much difficulty. Volunteer fire departments will be out, as well as linesmen. There will likely be at least one old lady or old gentleman that wanders away from their home or nursing home because they forgot there was a storm and so the police and SAR will get some exercise in the rain.

That's my job, actually, in all of this, to sit by the phone for a few more hours in case we do get a similar call-out here. We did this time last year too, or was it the year before, driving to the Blue Hill peninsula in the pouring rain or a tropical storm to look for an older lady. We got lucky and she was found by another asset, search dogs, if I remember right, before we were directed to leave the SAR HQ on our first assignment.

But we got pretty damp just going from the van to the HQ, even wearing full rain gear, the rain was so heavy.

As for the Womerlippis, all my powers of reason were not enough to convince my lovely wife not to undertake her long-awaited last research trip of the season. Aimee loves her peace and quiet, and she loves the ocean, and she loves her research. She'd been looking forward to this for weeks. Luckily she works with some very good people at this particular site, many of whom are actually in Maine SAR, so while I thought that heading right towards the path of a predicted storm for the weekend was not exactly the best choice, I wasn't worried about her safety.

Not much, at least.

And now the storm has bypassed her, or will do so later today, she's going to have some very nice post-storm weather, cooler and clearer and a nice ocean breeze. Big swells, though, for a few days. That doesn't matter too much since she works at low tide in sheltered anchorages.

As for me, I'm bone tired today after the first week of class and expect to sleep some more. I slept pretty good through the most of the rain last night. I'm going to go to Newport town later and get a haircut and some gear I need for my work at the Bale House, I'm going to listen to my favorite Saturday radio shows, and then I'm going to take a nap on the couch. I may can some tomatoes later.

Small ambitions, easily achieved.

1 comment:

  1. Have a great weekend. Aimee will be back before you know it! By the way, Dave and I were married two weeks ago. We had a wondeful wedding. I'll send you a photo.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.