Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A hot day


It's a hot day, 86 F at the airport in Bangor, perhaps a little cooler here up in the Jackson hills. I've been working outside, but I came in seeking a cooler place. A good time to post an update on the blog.

Here's the south side of the house, with the herb garden and the wall where Aimee has been shingling. This is her own private project. I'm not allowed to do any of this work except to set the scaffold, staple the construction paper, and paint the trim.

I had been told by her Aimeeness a few days ago that I'd have to shift the scaffold and brace it a little better. Apparently it had been a little wobbly of late.

I waited for a day with a little cloud because in the very direct sun that we've been having, this spot would be a heat trap. This morning dawned a little foggy, and so before that burned off, I'd have a window of opportunity. I put up the last of the construction paper on the left and this was enough to tell me, yes, the scaffold was a bit wobbly. So it was off to the lumber yard for some two by four material to use as braces and as a safety rail.


That chore was followed by lunch -- with a ham sandwich of our own ham, as well as snap peas and radishes from our garden, and a half glass of rhubarb wine. Then I puttered in the vegetable garden, pulling weeds, watering, and fitting tomato cages. The garden is looking fairly good if I do say so myself. We should have some new potatoes in a week or two.

The rhubarb wine is another recent project. We have a good crop of rhubarb which we use for British style desserts like rhubarb crumble, but I though we might also have some wine out of it.

This is the finished product below. It's a little cloudy with pectin, but tastes just fine.

At least, I think so. But I'm in that self-satisfied mode I get into whenever the first harvests begin to come in, so I'm biased.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.