Monday, January 26, 2015

Solids






Kids grow up fast, the saying goes. We've been trying to make sure we don't miss anything. The most recent advance has been the addition of "solid" foods to Roo's diet. I say "solids" in quotes because, well, the pap that she has begun to eat and even enjoy is not exactly what you would term solid. But it's not milk, and that's something.

She doesn't yet like banana or apple or even the specially prepared commercial baby food (organic, of course). But she likes baby oatmeal mixed with a little formula or better yet, mommy's real milk. Porridge, in other words, being true to her Celtic inheritance. I expect she will like leeks too, one fine day.

Of any given amount that is fed to her, a proportion even ends up inside her. But a lot doesn't. It's best to have dinner time just before bath time, if you know what I mean.

One result has been at the other end, where the relatively manageable effluent of her previous diet has of course been replaced by much more sticky, smelly, and otherwise obnoxious material.

In other news, the Camry came back from the painters looking brand new, but it was a while before I could bring myself to drive it, considering how much slush and salt there currently is on our roads. Worried about possible damage to the new paint, I was getting ready to take it to one of our local detailers for a good old fashioned wax job, something I can do myself in summer, but that has to be done in an indoor shop in Maine in winter. I called the painters to ask about this, though, and they said I had better leave it until all the solvents had evaporated, about a month. I couldn't countenance wasting that much gas driving the truck for another whole month, so I gave up and started driving the Camry again.

We've had one small snowstorm since I last wrote, but before these few inches arrived, almost all the snow had melted out in a big rainstorm the weekend before last. This is rare for Maine in January. We usually have a decent snowpack of at least a foot by now. But another storm is heading our way. It may even cause a snow day. That would be nice.

No Burn's Nicht celebrations for me this year. I didn't have the time or the inclination to make haggis, which Aimee never eats anyway, and I'm almost out of whisky. Instead we've been eating lots of cheese. There's a new shop in Belfast called Eat More Cheese, and Aimee has a gift membership to their "Cheese of the Month Club." This to me seems a novel and interesting way to make sure my nursing wife has enough protein.

As the old saying from Ed Abbey goes, "what a friend we have in cheeses."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.