Friday, January 23, 2009

Fear the haggis

Aye, well...

One tradition we keep alive in vestigial form around here is Burn's Nicht. It's a fairly secretive enterprise, an underground movement, because my lovely wee wifie does not approve of nasal accents in song or poetry, nor does she particularly appreciate the Scots musical tradition.

Although she did get a kick out of Canadian band Enter the Haggis at the Maine Highland Festival and few year's back, and she also liked Gaelic Storm when they came. And she aquiesced in the naming of Haggis the sheepdog.

But she definitely does not like Burn's poetry, nor will she eat haggis.

I took the precaution of having the butcher ground up our three lamb's plucks this year and freeze them so I could make haggis more easily. He was a little taken aback at the request, but when I explained it was for a sausage, it made sense to him, butchers being much the same the world over even if they've never heard of the immortal haggis.

So. Officially Burn's Nicht is Sunday, but since I'm working both days this weekend, and Sunday night, it will have to be Saturday afternoon we make haggis, and Saturday night we (I) will eat it. I'll be sure to let you see the haggis pictures.

In the meantime, enjoy this how-to here from the Guardian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.