Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Certainties in life?

The homestead life has its essential similarities all around the world. I find this very comforting in an uncertain era.

Colour it Green diary is fixing up their greenhouse, just as we are making a new one.

Stonehead understands their weather is not yet as bad as the weathermen say it is, just as we did a day or two ago.

Throwback at Trapper Creek, having recovered admirably from a greenhouse collapse, is appreciating wood stoves and wood furnaces, just as we have done several times this winter.

Life at the end of the road
has lost a sheep temporarily, and a runt pig permanently. They are also experiencing difficulties with cars. We've been manouvering to replace one of ours for months.

All very similar to recent posts on this blog. And all good reading. Recommended, says me.

I also say the homestead life should be written up, praised and cherished for its self-reliance, for its intensely experiential joy and learning, for its contradictions of complexity with earthy simplicity, for being real when all around is fake (including most of the people), and just generally being the only way I want to live.

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. ...and to show that masochists have some excellent lifestyle choices in the backwoods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think of the times, when life was more "normal," that I felt forced to spend an hour in the gym every day, mostly because that was "what you did" but also becuase it made me feel better.

    These days, my firewood pile and barn are my gym, and I rarely need to deliberately exercise to feel better.

    But you're right. Few folks would see slinging muck or hay or grain or logs for hours each week as an amenity.

    What surprises me the most though, is how little time it all takes. The garden and the harvest is the most work-intensive. The firewood pile comes next. Then the critters.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.