Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sheep calls



I finally got my pictures developed and picked up from my recent trip to Wales. A few of them are over on the Sustainability Blog

This one, of a sheep appearing to exit a traditional UK red phone booth, was one I just had to post, but not appropriate for the blog where I put professional material for students.

In home news, Snorri has settled down nicely to a Ménage à quatre with his three "wives."

I envy him not. One is plenty.

Today we got in the winter oats for the sheep: 1,000 lbs of feed in one go. Once the grass stops growing, we switch them to oats, with some coarse 16% protein sweet feed for the selenium. The oats come from Maine, relatively close by (Aroostook County), and so reduce the footprint of our sheep operation which would otherwise require lots of feed trucked in from the midwest.

They still have quite a few apples left to eat in two of the paddocks so with apples and oats and hay and what is left of the grass they are pretty fat and happy. All they need is brown sugar and cinnamon and I might join them.

The next job this weekend is a little more firewood, which we will get from a fellow in Dixmont, the next town to the north and locus of one of the state's controversial wind power project proposals. This neighbor wishes to add turbines to his mountaintop to supplement his retirement income, and it's a good site for it, but it remains to be seen if the voters will allow it. But he's also a good source of cut, split hardwood, which he takes from his own land with what I have to say is a pretty exemplary forestry operation.

We have to buy in wood this year because the spring was too wet to cut much from our own land. Our ground was waterlogged, too wet for the tractors, until July, by which time I had my hands full with insulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.