Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fall pleasures




Fall is well and truly underway, and we hear they have snow on the slightly higher peaks in Vermont, a little closer to that Canadian weather.

Here's my Wednesday afternoon in "the office." Shouldn't perhaps brag too much, or I might find myself with competition for teaching this map-reading class I teach each fall. And this year it's only one afternoon a week, which makes me savor the exercise and fall woods even more.

Today started out too wet to hike, though, so we both went to town in our separate charabancs, mine for an oil change, hers to stock up with groceries.

The dogs stayed home. Sometimes when I go to the service station I take Haggis, and he just sits there and stares straight out the windshield while the mechanic does whatever. Barely flinches, even if the mechanic gets in the car with him.

Such a funny dog.



When we're in the house he likes to lie where he can see us and hear us. Making sure we stay safe.

Mary has no such foibles. As soon as she arrived, all those years ago, she took over what had been Aimee's papa san bamboo couch. What a lazy mutt.







After I made it back it had dried up somewhat so I took a hike. Shenzhi the cat came too, which meant we could only go about half a mile because she starts whining when she's had enough. Silly cat: if you didn't want to come for a hike, why'd you come for a hike?

In other activities today, we made food. I made a big batch of lamb chili with our own onions and tomatoes. Aimee made bread.

Very good bread.

I took a picture of our big fancy rooster, not yet souped. Time will tell if we're willing to keep a rooster around. Haven't seen any baby chicks yet.




And here's this year's ewe lamb saying, "what's he doing this time."

I could get used to such nice quiet weekends without big high pressure projects to do. Very relaxing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.