Friday, June 10, 2011

Sorry siding

I needed to get our firewood cut, split and stacked for the winter, but the garage wall where we keep the wood was in sad shape.

Even though we place pallets between the wood and the wall, the extra moisture was causing the paint to peel and the siding to rot.

So I took my Skilsaw and somewhat unskillfully cut out the rotten sections of boarding and replaced it with some better lumber I had lying around.

The replacement material had been wrecked out of one of the two sheep shelters I had demolished earlier as part of the Great Chicken POW Camp Project. The sheep lumber was hemlock, as was the original garage wall. Eastern hemlock is a pretty stout and rot-proof, locally-grown building material, cheap and abundant around here, but these particular boards were also pretreated with lanolin from the sheeps' fleece.

I decided I couldn't possibly go wrong with lanolin-impregnated hemlock.

Maybe I should market it.

After fitting the new boards, I scrubbed off some of the remaining loose paint with the rotary wire brush head on the angle grinder, and gave it a thick coat of anti-mold primer, which left the building looking kind of piebald, but good to go structurally for a few more years.

Now I need to go to the hardware store tomorrow and match the finish paint color.

Ordinarily Aimee would not trust me to do the color-match thingy, and for good reason.

Aimee, and indeed most other females of the species, seem to be able to discern about a thousand more colors than I can. I can just about keep the primary colors sorted, and then things get kinda fuzzy.

But Aimee says (does anyone else miss the awesome British TV public service announcement cat "Charlie says"?) that Home Depot now have a machine to match colors for you, so errant husbands can now be sent to the paint department unaccompanied.

Now that's a very good thing, because if the machine matches the paint, and the paint is still the wrong color (as it surely will be), then the husband cannot be blamed!

Or can he?

To be continued.

Watch this space for another exiting episode of Mick Fixes the Garage next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.