Saturday, April 27, 2013

A "new" camera!

The college was cleaning out its (only partly) proverbial closet, getting ready for science laboratory refurbishing this summer, and some bright spark decided to have a "yard sale" of old science equipment.

Ever the scrounger, I investigated the cache before the big day. On top of the pile was a 1999 Olympus Camedia 2500 digital SLR camera, previously assigned to Dr. Potter, a fisheries professor.

Having destroyed at least five privately-owned small digital cameras, several of them on college business, I felt entitled to appropriate this particular camera before the official yard sale began, and did so (with the begrudging permission of the organizer).

If anyone complains, I'll just point to all the photos I have on the college's website and in various publications, made with my ill-fated private cameras over many, many years. Two of them were actually dropped into the sheep's water tub, having slipped out of my jacket pocket. At least another two quit after being banged about in my book bag.

It took a little Internet research to figure out how to connect this rather ancient camera to my computer. It's so old, the modern plug-and-play protocols don't work. But after about an hour of web research, and $16 plus shipping at Amazon.com for a "Pixelflash Superspeed" USB 3.0 Compact Flash memory card reader, we're in business.

And, despite the hoots of derision from my lovely wife (who herself has spent at least $2,000 on cameras and camera-related accessories in the nine years of our marriage), it works! I'm very pleased with the results.

I've always wanted a digital SLR. If I'm good, I can make this one last a long time.

Here are the fruits of my labors, the week's activities on the farm:


Charlie-cat on the pouffe


Regina's first-ever, named "Tango" in honor of the RAF Leeming MR Team call-sign


Shaky on his feet and not as robust as other lambs this year, little Tango gave us a moment or two of worry


A new hay supplier, Simon Stoll, Amishman, of the Palmer Road in Thorndike. This is the first cut. The ewes prefer the second cut


Tango tries out the outdoors for the first time


I shifted four tons of well-rotted pig-manure compost on Thursday afternoon, after a tough morning at work. Very cathartic, is moving compost piles. I recommend it.


This is one Kubota-B6000 bucket-load of pig manure compost, ready to be tilled in. Black gold.


Aimee's cosseted plant starts in the big greenhouse for the day. At night they go back to the smaller heated greenhouse.


Lamb city. Lambs feed, frolic, and nap in the waste hay. It must be nice to be a Womerlippi lamb


Nap time


I "de-horned" this apple tree for the second time. Of all our ancient apple trees, this is the one I most want to keep, but it's not easy to keep it down to size and get a decent shape. But it shades too much of our lawn and we can't reach apples at the top of the tree. I'm going to see how well this one responds to the savage de-horning process before I try it on any other trees.


The lawn finally beginning to green up. It's been a late spring.

Watch this space for more purloined-camera photography. In your face, Best Buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.