Friday, June 7, 2013

Slow progress


 
Here's the progress so far on the foundation. We have two completed footings and one-and a half completed walls. You can see that this is more than half the total because of the slope of the ledge. The remaining two walls will have a shallow footing, because there's fewer ups and downs, and they will require less block.

For which small mercy I'm grateful. My back, arms and legs are quite stiff each day from the heavy labor. yet still the rented cement mixer turns every day for several hours. 

Tomorrow is supposed to pour with rain all day so I may get a day off - my first in ten!


The ledge defeated my heavy duty half-inch drill and masonry bit, and I was forced to rent a hammer drill with a carbide bit. With this I was able to set the rebar pins fully eight inches deep. The rock is sound and doesn't crack when drilled, and so I'm confident that these will hold.



In other news, two lambs went in the "Lamb Rover" to our buddy John Mac and his partner Nancy. They take two each year to save lawn mowing, and then butcher both at the end of the year. Nancy showed us a nice sheepskin from one of last year's black lambs. Apparently it cost around $60 to send away to be processed, including shipping. Four or five would make a nice and very classy WW2 type pilot's sheepskin jacket. 


Here's what our murderous cat, Shenzhi, dragged in today -- a baby bunny. The poor wee mite was catatonic. Aimee of course decided to rescue it and try to nurse it back to health. We'll see how it does. I don't have high hopes.


Finally, the baby hens, already too big for their chick tractor, but still too small to go in with the adult hens, got an extension. 

Aimee said that "It took a lot less time to make the chicken tractor extension than the house extension."


So you see what I have to put up with! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.