Tuesday, June 17, 2014

House guest? Meet Ginnie the Guinea




I was over at the Transfer Station Sunday, dropping off my trash and recycling like a Good Husband should, when I saw a loose Guinea hen race across the parking lot. At first I thought it was a wild turkey, but the color was all wrong, and the shape too rotund. Brent the Transfer Station guy tried to catch it, but I left and so never knew if he caught it or not.

I guess not, since a few hours later it showed up in my dooryard, and promptly decided this was Home.

It's been here now for three days, I keep trying to feed it but it runs away anytime I come close. Runs fast, too, like a road runner.

Noisy little bugger, too, cackles loudly like a demented cockerel in the mornings and at night. During the day it forages around, doesn't seem to eat seedlings form the garden or bother anyone. So I guess it can stay.

I did call the Town Office to see if they'd heard, and to report it to Animal Control.

Aimee was amused to hear about the visitor. She was away doing a few day's marine biology field research, on one of the myriad of Maine islands, and found out what was happening when she called in one night.

We are both somewhat bemused by Ginnie. 

But if anyone knows of a missing Guinea, call us or email.

In other doings -- other than deck-building and siding projects that is -- yesterday I went to meet Aimee's boat, a nice half-day husband-holiday from carpentry projects. I went early and had a scenic drive through backwoods Maine, followed by an early seafood dinner at the dockside at Port Clyde, featuring corned hake, a Maine traditional dinner, and very tasty too. Comfort food, for sure.

Then I watched the boat come in and helped the scientists heft the traps from the boat to my waiting van.

We live in a pretty place.


Here it is, the good ship Archangel, in the glistening sun across the anchorage at Port Clyde.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.