Monday, March 9, 2009

Frozen adventure

I'm sitting in my nice leather armchair in the den with the oil heat cranked to 68 degrees, which we never do, and working down my second cup of hot coffee, with a pot of oatmeal on the stove, trying to get warm to my bones. After which I'll probably fall asleep, although it's only 9am.

The weather map says it was 19 F last night but it sure felt a lot colder than that when I walked home the ten miles or so from the Dixmont-Troy line. More like 10 F.

I was driving home from having dropped Aimee off at college to start her field trip to Nicaragua at about 5.30 am, when I hit one of our ubiquitous Maine potholes. A few minutes later the car started to vibrate and the front end began to wobble. I pulled over, turned the engine off, and got out with a flashlight only to hear the unmistakable hiss of a tire going down. No jack, and no lug wrench, in that car, I'm afraid. And we don't own a cell phone. There were houses around but I didn't want to wake someone up.

I was already cold from standing around at college, loading vans, having neglected my macinaw. Yesterday's sun had lulled me into false complacency. I could have waited it out in the car, I suppose. Someone driving by would have called 911 sooner or later, if I'd put my emergency flashers on. Or, once it was a decent hour, I could have walked up to a farmhouse and called AAA. And there was a sleeping bag. But I decided I could hitch-hike, so I started walking.

I got one ride, that's all. I don't mind a hike, but ten miles without a coat, in loose-fitting heavy snow-pac boots, is a recipe for soreness and hypothermia. Luckily there was a box of old hats and gloves in the car, and a flashlight.

After the first twenty or so cars blew by, and the first five miles were done, I started placing the hitch-hikers curse on them all. The one that goes, "don't worry, what goes around comes around. You too can be stranded hiking in the dark and the cold."

After seven miles I gave up, and decided, cussedly, to walk all the way. (As if there were anything else I could do!) In the last mile, I could have had a ride from a couple of different neighbors, but by then I wanted to make it home, just because.

Now I'm trying to warm up and waiting for AAA to bring the car back. I've had a hot shower, but I think it will take a little more than that.

I guess that's what I get for not keeping a jack in the car. I don't remember what happened to it. Probably I took it out for something or other and never put it back. Normally it wouldn't matter. Aimee drives that car, and she wouldn't be changing a tire. She would call me, or AAA, to come get her.

As it was, even when I made it back here where we have the pick-em-up truck, floor jacks and air-wrenches, and the whole nine yards of a well-equipped farm workshop, there was no sense in going back.

Can't drive two cars at once!

This is the first time I've used our AAA membership. The service was pretty good. I did get to see the sunrise from the pass over Harris Mountain. And I have been complaining about lack of exercise lately.

I'm at the tingly stage now. Skin bright red. Feels sort of good.

Just think, if Aimee hadn't taken herself off to foreign parts, I could have jumped back into bed and stolen all the heat I needed from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.