Sunday, March 15, 2009

Two down, three to go

Well, ewes being "off their feed" is as good a sign as any, I guess. Just three hours after being placed in the lambing pen, Jewel got down to some lambing.

This first one slipped out without any bother. She struggled for an hour with the second one, and wouldn't let me near her to help, because she had the first one to defend, see.

This was until I went in there, pinned her head in the corner, and her body against the wall, grabbed the legs that had been sticking out for nearly forty minutes, and pulled it out. A crude kind of midwife I make, I know, but the patient wasn't cooperating with me, indeed had charged me several times already.

Who says nature knows best? By the time you've had your legs sticking out for forty minutes, and no movement, I'd say nature is being pretty silly right about now.

Although I suppose that sheep are no longer as natural as, say, a whitetail deer.

Still, it all came out right in the end. The lamb lived and seems fine. Jewel shed her afterbirth with little difficulty. One boy. I didn't check the sex of the second one yet. I don't need to be rammed again today. I went inside to watch the rugby internationals instead (on time delay on Setanta). Much less violent an experience for all concerned, than lambing. And less blood.

I'm glad there wasn't a third up there. That might have gone hard on poor old Jewelly.

Only three more ewes to go. Molly, Tillie, and Tootsie. All are experienced. Should be no problem.

I hope.

2 comments:

  1. excellent. you have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jewel was the busy one. I just leaned over the gate most of the time. But I don't understand why the contractions weakened so much that the lamb got stuck in the birth canal. What would have happened if I hadn't pulled the lamb out? Would it have come eventually? Would it have died from lack of oxygen as the umbilical cord ceased to work? Disconcerting, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.