Sunday, August 15, 2010

Duck, duck.... drake?

Aimee was just about to take her morning shower, when she said "uh-oh," in the way she does when she spies a problem.

But she hadn't seen a problem, she'd heard one. A real cock-a-doodle of a problem.

SNACU

I've been telling her for weeks now that the rather strange, tall white bird that is supposed, per Paris Farmer's Union, to be an Ameruacuna hen, is actually an Ameruacuna rooster.

But it took hearing this rooster crow for her to actually believe me.

Hearing is believing, I guess.

Uh-oh is right, though.

We have two choices now this has happened: We can make chicken soup out of rooster-boy right away.

Or we can wait a short while to see how mean he is, and if he will breed our hens. Most likely he'll breed the Buff Orpingtons first since they're a year older and the new Ameruacunas and Golden Comets are not laying yet.

If we get any Orpington-Ameruacuna crossed chicks, and if he stays mild-mannered, he can live.

If he fails to do any one of the above, he'll be soup. I'm not having a badly-behaved or impotent rooster around here. It's a long story, but one of my many soft-tissue injuries that I feel from time to time is a torn rotator cuff, and it was caused by the last rooster I owned. I don't quite have all the movement I should have in my right arm as a result.

I much prefer to keep only hens. They're much calmer and happier without a rooster about. Roosters just get hens all clucked up. Chicks are cheap enough and easy enough to rear. And you don't get weird barnyard cross-breeds. As we undoubtedly will now. The Ameraucuna is itself a crossbreed, and so this rooster must be genetically messed up already, never mind what we will get when he's crossed with a Golden Comet or Buff.

Still, as long as they can live, eat, and lay, that will be fine. And we will eat any males of course.

Here's the inspection team at work yesterday at Aimee's job site. She passed inspection, but the chickens want her to get edible shingles next time. They said these ones don't taste good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.