Saturday, August 21, 2010

Orion sighted

That's it, official: fall is here.

We have all the traditional signs:

1) Trees just starting to turn, mostly maples in bogs and swamps
2) Cooler nights. Tonight it dropped down to 42 F
3) Tomatoes up the wazoo
4) Aimee took me shopping and bought me "new" (mostly from Goodwill) clothes
5) Sheep are eating apples every day
6) Shooting stars in the sky
7) Kitchen is a mess with canning stuff, and the floor is sticky
8) I'm not soaking bandanas and t-shirts with sweat each time I exert myself even a bit
9) The house windows are closed more hours than they are open, except for the bedroom ones
10) We have flies in the house

... and of course, 11) the constellation Orion is seen for the first time.

Haggis and I went out for his morning constitution at about 3.30 am and there was Orion, way to the east, and lacking the bottom star, but it was Orion all the same.

An Old Friend.

And then there was a bright red Perseid to the south.

Hooray.

Mag dogs and Englishmen may go out in the midday sun like other Americans and get all farmer-tanned and sweat their labor in the heat and humidity with the best, but we like our cool weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.