Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Roof! Roof!


"Roof, roof!" was what the "epsilon semi-moron" elevator operator in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World sang out ecstatically as he dropped his alpha-ranked passengers off to get to their private aircraft at the end of the workday.

I'm not quite that happy, but I am pleased to have a bit of roof completed on this build. There's the small matter of just a teensy bit of shade for the workers (Plural? Hah! If I was, I'd start a union!), who can now work more comfortably in the hot sun forecast for tomorrow and Friday. I can now leave my tools out at night, and the woodwork in at least part of the extension will begin to dry out.

Unfortunately, I have another thirteen trusses to build before I can cover the rest of the building.


It took me a while to get the hang of Grace Ice and Water shield, a sticky bituminous roof "membrane" that does what roofing felt used to do, only better. (It sticks to nails, and doesn't require tacks or staples.) I'd never used it before. My first tries were abortive and I wasted twenty feet or so, at about a dollar a foot. I eventually got the hang of it.


The interior is now partitioned.


And some of the permanent receptacles are wired.


And I set up my tools to make life easier doing the remaining trusses.



As well as a twenty-foot long work bench, needed for the thirteen nineteen-foot trusses we must now build.


Our lambs seem none the worse for relative neglect this summer. The pigs went to the butcher's on Sunday. They'd eaten their way through two whole 1,000 pound loads of grain. We usually allow them three, but these were larger when we got them, and still had their testicles, and so were ready faster and with less feed than usual. I was glad to get them gone because that makes one less chore to do each day. Time is of the essence here. I'll be back to work before I know it, and I don't want to leave myself a lot of heavy work to do to finish the extension on the weekends during the fall semester.


A longer view of the whole build. Nearly done with the heavy work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.