The Rover engine rebuild went well enough, at least as far as the rebuild part. Here's the motor on the chain hoist the day I put it back in.
There were some difficulties with a new, supposedly correct-for-the-model-and-year, clutch disc. After three hours of trying to mate the engine to the transmission, I stopped, lifted the motor again, removed the clutch disc and checked the fit, only to find the splines were all wrong. Luckily, the old clutch disc was within thirty-thousands of an inch of the correct maximum size, hardly used, in other words, and I was able to reuse it. I remember that the old mechanic I bought this Rover from, in Warren, Maine, had said that the car had had a new clutch recently. He must have changed the clutch plate or disc, but the not the pressure plate, which was trashed, scored and pitted. The adjustment was all wrong too, with the pedal way too "high and tight," encouraging slippage.
All this explains why I experienced a slipping clutch only to find a relatively new clutch plate on the rebuild.
I painted the engine with POR-15 engine enamel. I've had good results with this paint, which is actually a thin glue, using urea formaldehyde chemistry, the same as "Gorilla Glue" and most spray foam. It keeps the rust at bay. I use it on our three older vehicles. I don't expect this engine will ever be painted again, so we may as well make it last.
Once the engine was back in, though, I was disappointed to find I now had a rear crankshaft seal leak.
It's not uncommon on engine rebuilds to compromise the rear seal, and I remember thinking that this one went in particularly hard. On the older Rovers the seal sits behind its own metal plates, and they pressure load the seal. It's hard to fit, and there probably is a "knack" that I need to learn. Mine certainly didn't go on easy. Now the engine will have to be pulled again, and the seal replaced. I threw some stop leak in there just to see what would happen. There are no other rubber parts inside the rover except these seals, and so nothing that could possibly be hurt by the stop leak, which is essentially rubber solution chemical, and works by softening the seal to make a better fit around the crankshaft. If, as is most likely, this last ditch efforts doesn't do a durn thing for the leak, I'll pull the engine again and change the seal once more.
The good news is, the rebuild itself is good, high oil pressure (much higher), smooth running, and a little more "pep", all pretty much what you would predict from a successful full rebuild on such a tired motor.
I'm convinced of the sustainability value of engine rebuilding. Not only does it give an old vehicle a new lease of life for very little embodied energy, but it also saves acid rain emissions, by increasing efficiency. These two small boxes contain all of the parts that were changed, except for the clutch pressure plate. I changed pistons, rings, bearings, valves, tappets, and the timing chain. The boxes weigh less than thirty pounds. Thirty pounds of metal gets you another fifty thousand miles at least of engine life, possibly a hundred thousand.
This old truck has already lasted forty-three years, and I hope it will last at least another twenty more.
But other jobs were calling. Other jobs are pretty much what I have to do anyway, since I should give the stop leak a couple of weeks anyway, just to see what happens. Here's the garden, where Aimee has been weeding and tending. Things are growing well, and we now have spinach to eat.
The piglets are doing well, and now have a new grain bin set-up, allowing us to go back to bulk grain for the rest of the summer. We hadn't been able to fill the bins recently because the new truck wouldn't carry a thousand pound grain bag with the truck cap on, while the trailer is too large to fit in the barn door, meaning we couldn't back any vehicle up right next to the bins to unload the grain easily. Bulk grain is half the price of bagged, so this was an expensive problem. We invested in a set of castors for the grain bin, allowing the bin to roll to the trailer, instead of the other way around. These paid for themselves the first time we used them, saving eighty or ninety dollars on a load of pig feed.
I also fitted new front and garage doors to the house, something Aimee had been asking for, and which perhaps compensates somewhat for all the time spent on the Land Rover recently.
Little Roo, for her part is happy to have both her parents home most days, although she's not sure of the value of all these jobs Aimee and I are always doing that take our attention away from her.
There's an obvious solution to this problem: She needs to learn to help!