Saturday, August 16, 2008

Great steaming heaps of s...e





It rained about two inches on Thursday afternoon, and so the big pile of sheep bedding in the pig sty that I had recently shoved out there was all fired up. Compost needs water as much as plants do, but not too much or it will start using the very different anaerobic decomposition system, which stinks. Believe it or not, this pile doesn't smell bad at all.

The hotter the pile the better, because that kills the disease organisms, and any remaining hay and grain seeds. I expect it's 160 degrees F. in the center of this pile right now.

Aimee devised a system with an old grain sack to deflect the chickens from going up the barn steps to the hay loft, where they poop on the hay and try to hide eggs from us. A very puzzled chicken still tried to hop up, to no avail.


Finally, some ducks arrived for a spell. I guess we're house-sitting these guys for Aimee's student Meg, pictured, whose landlord won't let her have them at home just now. The ducks liked oats soaked in water, and dabbled away like mad for it.

I think if we have ducks, we will need a duck-pond, and if we had a duck pond, it might as well be a fish pond too, and if we were going to have a fish pond, I should get a backhoe, so I could build it myself, and then I could also more easily pull up stumps, etc, around the place.

But that might mean I needed a bigger tractor. Aimee thinks that seems like a lot of money just for three ducks. So they have a kids paddling pool for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.