Thursday, August 21, 2008



Other Mainers ride snowmobiles or ORVs or Harley-D's

I like to drive my Troy-Bilt tiller.

This was an ancient machine that was given to the college gardener's but they could not get it to run. I took the engine apart, freed up the valves which were rusted to the guides, and reground them like a good ex-RAF sumpy should. It started and ran, but not well. And it was very loud.

Later I was able to salvage a newer engine from a gas alternator that burned up. This has a couple more horses, and the new machine says no to nothing once up and running.

The new motor is a Tecumseh 9 horse, and these have a habit of sticking their needle valves and floats. SOP is to clean out the float bowl and flick the needle valve a few times before firing up after any hiatus.

Other than that, it gets left in the field all summer.

This was the potato patch. Now it will be fall kale and spring spinach.

Next picture is our ducks trying to stay cool in the woods.

Must be wood ducks, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.