Sunday, January 16, 2011

Winter beauty






This morning was fairly gorgeous on the Great Farm, with bright yellow sunshine and twinkly air and fluffy fresh snow.

This first shot is from inside our barn, looking through the double Dutch doors.

Then there's the sunrise over the woodlot.

The next shot is an attempt to capture the fat snowdrops melting off the branches of the ash trees in the hedgerow. It doesn't work for that, but it's still pretty.

Finally, the sheep.

Our sheep don't care much for winter beauty. They hang out in the shade of the barn, traipsing around on the same three or four sheep trods in the snow.

Sheep are total Eeyores, when it comes to pretty. Not enthusiasts at all.

They much prefer oats and hay. That gets them enthusiastic.

There was a time when I found it hard to appreciate the stark light beauty of a North American winter. An ex-pat, I thought that I most liked to hike in soggy green countryside even in the winter, and didn't realize I could just as easily enjoy hiking in whiteness and light.

It took me about twenty-five years to develop a taste for it.

People, like sheep, are creatures of habit and like to traipse the same old sheep trods.

2 comments:

  1. The light sure is pretty when it's sunny and -20'C! I woke this morning to -25'C. I'll wait a bit before going on my run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't burn those lungs, youth. You'll need them later!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.