Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Twelfth Night

It's Twelfth Night tonight, and in British folk tradition the Christmas decorations now have to come down or there will be bad luck for the household.

Aimee, of course, combining her uber-Protestant Church of the Brethren upbringing with her current scientific outlook on life, condemns all such folk-ways as superstitious and even secretly Catholic.

Technically she is of course correct on both counts. It is superstition, and it is also Catholic -- the feast of the Epiphany, to be exact.

Neither is going to stop me from taking down the tree. I don't need any bad luck, touchwood. And while I'm scientific enough to see that it's superstitious, old habits die hard. My Welsh grannie, a Jones from Macynlleth, would be proud of me; she who put milk at the bottom of the garden for the fairies and told me that King Arthur was waiting in a Welsh Mountain to save Britain again one day.

Maybe he is too. Right now he'd have to save the poor old "sceptred isle" from snow.

Life at the end of the Road on Raasay has a few difficulties getting to work.
Musings from a Stonehead is "up to his b******ks" in the white stuff.
Even Colour it Green Diary in the far southwest of the yUKe had a bit, but then got rain.

And the Guardian is running a picture-special-online-interactive-instant-snow update center.

A bit too much fuss over such a little snow if you ask me.

3 comments:

  1. all have snow now...
    http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/?2010007-0107/GreatBritain.A2010007.1150.500m.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really making a fuss about the snow. But I can hardly not mention it on my blog when it's about life on a croft and heavy snow involves major changes in routine, workload and daily life.

    If you want a ridiculous fuss about snow, you should see some of the British, urban-centric news coverage. Half an inch of slush at a school in southern England is treated as if if the next Ice Age is imminent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shouldn't worry. I post about it every winter too. I'm just a tad amused to see all these folks shoveling and plowing and complaining. I should get a life.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.